Top 10 criteria for selecting land in India to open a school
- Vinod Kakumanu
- Feb. 28, 2019, 3:17 p.m.
The very thought of opening a school is immediately followed by the idea of acquiring the suitable land or building to establish the school. Throughout my career as a school consultant, I have advised many educationists select the property for school purpose and continue to do so.
Our typical workday involves a substantial number of inquiries about school real estate, “can you find us a suitable school property?” is a refrain we constantly hear from the clients. To ease the difficulty our clients experienced in finding suitable school real estate, we have pioneered an online portal that has made the process of finding School Property manifold easier.
Summarizing the top 10 criteria for selecting the land or building in India to open a school -
- Proximity - Proximity to the local community is a decisive factor, the closer the better. 0 – 5 kilometers proximity is ideal; however, specialty concepts may not find enough real estate within the said proximity. It is desirable for the school land to be close to the civic amenities including hospitals, utility stores, industries, workplaces, etc.
- Accessibility - Must be very well connected by road, rail and/or Air. Approach road leading to the school should not be discounted either.
- Distance vs Travel Time - Irrespective of the distance, the time required to commute to the school must not exceed 10 to 30 minutes. In the case of a boarding school, busy parents should be able to easily pull out time for school visits.
- Neighborhood — The target community must have the optimum density of school going children and parents could afford and appreciate education in your school. Performance and accomplishments of other schools in the neighborhood have an implicit effect on the new school.
- Size of the Land – Land required to scale infrastructure to meet the projected enrollments must be factored in. Ease of construction/development is desired.
- Modifiable — In the case of a building it must be open to alterations, customizations and must be fit structurally. Those looking to convert engineering colleges into a K-12 school must keep in mind that the desired customizations are affordable.
- Safety & Security - The location must not have the reputation that would compromise child’s safety and security. It must not close to a geographical fault line
- Historical profile - The land might have had other constructions on it in the past. A look into the history must not be missed.
- Vaastu – Those who believe in Vaastu should make sure that the one you choose is Vaastu compliant. Seek the proper guidance of a Vaastu consultant. Wastage of land in the form of setbacks for Vaastu compliance should be minimized.
- Titles & Price - Land/building titles are very clear and are free from legal disputes. Financial consideration is central to the decision of choosing the property. The price would affect the quality of the school as it will determine the direction in which it would evolve. Development fee also has an impact on the overall project budget.
I hope these 10 criteria for selecting land/building will aid school promoters who are in a rush to procure land for school purpose and open a school in India.
could you just let us know the online portal where we can find land for our educational institute
M. Praneeth Kumar answered
Hi Praneeth Kumar, schoolprop.com is our exclusive school real estate listings portal, you can connect with owner directly. I suggest that you post your requirements on schooprop.com