Education is the only sector that has been dynamic and undergoing a transformation for the past many years. The educationists are involved in inventions and creations of pedagogical devices that match up to the standards of global education of the 21st century. The stakeholders including teachers, students, and management are engaged in finding out reforms to cope up to the situation without having gaps in learning.
With the continuation of lockdown and the closure of academic institutions, education is definitely undergoing a metamorphosis digitally. The main difficulty which arises during a transformation of this kind is winning the trust of people and persuading them towards the progressive techniques. Education 4.0 is dominating all around and promising a future instilled with contemporary skills.
Let’s look at 8 elements which are needed to cope up with the changing dynamics of education during COVID-19:
1. Flexibility: This is the era of learning where the schools, professional institutions, curriculum developers, trainers, teachers, and technology providers need to understand the learner’s requirements. They should have the ability to identify if all the students in the classroom are involved in learning at the same level. It will create room for curriculum developers to create personalized content and teaching styles. Adaptive Learning which is powered by AI has to come to the forefront to deliver materials for customized learning
Another component is teachers have to enhance their teaching styles and be flexible in adapting to the advanced model of technology because the need of the hour is adaptability and not experience on the subject.
A shift in learning methodologies which would have taken a decade has happened now and thus it is imperative for learners and scholars to get accustomed with the new pedagogical trends
2. Viable ecosystem: In order to provide a vibrant and feasible environment, everyone involved in education including parents, teachers, trainers, etc should collaborate and help each other in creating an enabling atmosphere. A support is required at all levels to channel the aids to each and every student for their betterment.
3. Functioning of tech-infrastructure: Data and devices are an indispensable part of the learning environment and it is important for schools to enable technology-based infrastructure. The current model of education demands people to be digital-savvy because most of the learning happens through these devices which makes it important for everyone to educate themselves to acquaint with advanced pedagogy.
4. Partnership: It appears that schools still lack enthusiasm to adapt to new modes of pedagogy. So, there are EdTech partners who provide a platform to customize curriculum, improvise learning techniques and involve learners to witness a surge in demand from educational institutions
5. Enlarging scale: Since Remote Learning is becoming the new normal, companies are investing in cloud-based services or cybersecurity. Therefore, to operate these companies are on the lookout for professionals who are familiar in this space. The future will see traditional skills getting outdated and there will be a significant jump for modern skills most probably controlled by technology. This would require collaboration between curriculum providers and technology developers to design academics appropriate for the student’s cognitive mind.
6. Affordability: The main problem with tech devices is it is broadening the digital divide among people. People who are not from affluent families find it difficult to afford it and therefore, these devices should be sold at reasonable prices keeping in mind about those from impoverished backgrounds.
7. Customized learning: the educationists are constantly on a move to make learning more personal and customized. Their main motive is to bring all learners at the same level in a classroom and to attain that technology help students learn at their own pace. For instance, the LEAD School @Home program, the pause and rewind button in video tutorials have been increasingly used to indicate revision of the same session. A learner’s interest can also be gauged via this to see if he or she is learning without any adult supervision.
8. Remodelling of academic institution: the functioning of schools will have to be relooked which factors social distancing. From transportation, school assembly, the seating arrangement in the classroom to joint exercises including school uniforms needs to be reorganized keeping in mind about the pandemic situation. Probably, there are chances of the collaboration between teachers and parents more often through technology which is to enhance the individual progress of students
The education had already entered into the digital arena long back but the lockdown phase has strengthened the use of digitally equipped instruments to attain knowledge. This reflects the power of education
Founder & Consultant - School Serv
Vinod Kakumanu heads a team of school services professionals and is an independent commentator on Indian school education scenario. Vinod has assisted school promoters establish 35+ schools besides providing ancillary services to over 1000 schools across India. He envisions a future where quality education is made available to every child of the country. The focus he places on the quality of the deliverables and customer satisfaction has made him renowned in the field of K-12 school education.